Environmental Education Coordinator (Seasonal)
The North Brooklyn Boat Club is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization that provides public access to the East River and Newtown Creek. NBBC is dedicated to advocating for human-powered boating and stewardship of the waterways around North Brooklyn. Since 2012, NBBC has safely taken thousands of people out onto the water and run environmental-educational programming for dozens of schools and educational groups. More info here.
The North Brooklyn Boat Club (NBBC) is seeking a part-time Environmental Education Coordinator to oversee educational programming throughout the summer and fall season of 2018 (June-October). NBBC offers environmental education to visiting school groups, community organizations, and the general public through on-water trips and on-land activities at our boatyard in Greenpoint. We are seeking a motivated self-starter to conduct outreach, organize volunteers, handle administrative duties, maintain our educational space, and run on-land programming. The coordinator reports to the president of the Board of Directors.
Tasks include outreach and scheduling with existing and new educational, community, and corporate partners; coordinating with volunteers; marketing of education programs; administration of payments and invoices; and running marine-based education programming using established NBBC lesson plans and activities. Opportunities for additional tasks depend on the candidate’s experience and availability and on additional funding resources.
Work Schedule & Compensation
- 15 hours per week, June 1st through October 31st
- Availability to work some weekends is required; scheduling is flexible
- Possibility of additional hours depending on funding availability
- $20 per hour
- Highly motivated and self-driven with ability to work well with others
- A natural communicator with experience in environmental education, community outreach and engagement
- Experience working with groups of all ages in an educational setting
- Familiarity with Greenpoint/Williamsburg/Bushwick neighborhoods is helpful
- Background in marine or earth sciences is a plus
- Knowledge of grassroots nonprofit administration helpful
- Must be comfortable in small boats, willing to learn basic paddle skills; canoe experience is a plus
- Fluency in Spanish or Polish is a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Résumé should include 2 to 3 references.
Position will remain open until filled.